Image Map

Sunday, August 25, 2013

More music news

Spent all weekend recording, mixing and mastering. And I think...I think...it's done lol. I think. Haha!

Although, if it's anything like how it's been for the last month, I may change my mind in the morning and decide that it's all crap. 

But I decided to cut it to my favorite 5 tracks and just leave it as an EP. I'm running out of time and so I might just have to release what I've got.

And I honestly think it's the best recording job I've done so far! Woohoo!

It's just vocals and guitar. Yep. Now I'm just waiting for a few key people to give it a listen and some thumbs up (dear god I hope). Then it should be out on something. Bandcamp, CDbaby, who knows. Somewhere haha!

But I have to admit that I hate the whole recording process. It's so weird to put on your musician hat to write and then switch into engineer mode. To be sure, my engineering skills have increased overtime but I would still rather go into a real studio. That however would cost $ that I simply don't have. Plus, how could I go back and "perfectionize" something to death if I don't have complete creepy control over it?

The best takes were while recording vocals and guitar simultaneously. I was able to pull it off with a Shure 58 on the vocal and an R144 on the guitar + putting the guitar directly into the recorder.

Unfortunately, that make mixing a beast on louder tracks because of the bleed from the guitar into the vocal. So I kept using my original tracks as scratch tracks and trying to create the "feel" of the original performances while re-doing the vocals. I think it turned out pretty well all things considered.

Anyway, should be soon...once I get the go ahead haha!

Thanks for your time-
Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment